Trial Attorneys With A Record Of Multimillion-Dollar Wins

How bad is road rash?

On Behalf of | Feb 14, 2022 | Car Accidents

As a motorcyclist, you have far less protection than drivers in covered vehicles. One wrong move could send you sprawling across the pavement. Even if you wear all of the appropriate clothing and gear, you could still end up injured.

Abrasions such as road rash may occur, and if they do, it is important that you know how to treat them.

Minor and major road rash

Very Well Fit discusses the abrasions colloquially called road rash. Most people know about the most mild form of these abrasions, which typically only affects the outermost layer of skin called the epidermis. Minor bleeding and raw tissue occurs at this stage, along with the possibility of debris lodging into the wound. However, a quick trip to the doctor’s office for basic first aid will often suffice for the care of these injuries.

More intense abrasions can also occur at the deeper layers of skin called the dermis, though. These injuries require medical attention to stop the bleeding and clean the injury properly. In many cases, victims also require sutures.

When to see a doctor

You should see a doctor immediately if you suffer from severe pain, bleeding that does not stop, gaping wounds, cuts on the face larger than 1/4th of an inch, cuts on the body larger than 1/2 of an inch, or if you can see globules of fat in the exposed tissue.

The doctor will clean the injury and give you instructions on the appropriate way to handle care and maintenance in the aftermath. This way, you can avoid exacerbating the injury or lengthening the time it takes to recover.